On the Eastern part of Paris, there is an ex-suburban areas called Bercy which became part of Paris in 1860. It used to be a huge hub for the wine trade: the wine barrels would be delivered by boat via the nearby river Seine then stored in these huge buildings called chais. The area was very busy and active until the mid 50's after which it turned into a pretty dead zone. Towards the end of the century someone at the town hall decided to turn it to life again. The chais were turned into several interesting spots: a shopping mall, a "food court" and even a theme park.